Aesthetics, Art and Industrial HIstory Film on UK TV next week

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Stephen

Aesthetics, Art and Industrial HIstory Film on UK TV next week

Postby Stephen » Fri May 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi All

Apologies for cross posting but list members (particularly in the UK) who share my longstanding aesthetic interests and have been wonderful supporters of my early efforts as a filmmaker might be interested to know that my second film has secured a short TV run - in the UK for now, but the channel does have a European arm and global distribution links, so it may come your way eventually. If not, and you're interested, PM me for streaming options. I'm also available for screenings with Q and A, with Andy where possible, and we have AHRC support for any in the UK until the end of July especially if they are open to the public or involve schools.

Here's a press release that went out which contains the schedule for watching the film on the UK's Together Channel from May 14-21. It's a range of times - some whether you stay up late, get up late, watch TV in the afternoon or on a quiet Sunday evening there should be a slot to suit you.

Award-winning University of York film to show on TV next week

Black Snow a 23-minute documentary directed by Barnsley born and based University of York Professor Stephen Linstead and produced by University of Manchester’s Dr. Andy Lawrence, will be screened by the Together TV channel seven times in May. Shot in Barnsley and featuring local people, the film tells the story of the Oaks Colliery Disaster of 1866, England and the 19th century’s worst, in which a series of explosions claimed the lives of at least 361 people, with recent research suggesting there could be even more. The film uses virtual reality footage by former Barnsley miner Alan Andrews to recreate aspects of the disaster, and weaves the narrative with original testimony from the time. It also tells the stories of local community volunteers struggling to raise a memorial to the event, and Graham Ibbeson, a local sculptor with an international reputation trying to create one last masterpiece. Historical research for the film was supported by York’s Institute for the Public Understanding of the Past, the UK Heritage Lottery Fund, the local charity People and Mining and the NUM. Evocative music is by BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards nominee (with The Hush) Jed Grimes and Mercury Prize winner (with Badly Drawn Boy) Robin File, and features local songwriter Alan Wood.

The film has won 24 international awards to date, including Best Film at the Hollywood International Independent Documentary Awards­. Stephen LInstead and Jed Grimes have created a live-performance multimedia Black Snow Roadshow around the film which will tour over the summer and feature at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in August. A limited number of special presentations supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council are available for schools and museums nationally before July 31st.

Viewing times (Sky 159; Virgin 269; FreeviewHD 93; Freesat 164):

14-May-2018 Mon 15:30

15-May-2018 Tue 00:30

16-May-2018 Wed 15:30

18-May-2018 Fri 15:00

19-May-2018 Sat 0:00

20-May-2018 Sun 20:00

21-May-2018 Mon 02:00

Hope you enjoy it.
Steve, Andy and the Black Snow Crew

Professor Stephen A. Linstead DLitt. FAcSS FRSA
The York Management School